Agent on Unix
Information about multi node deployments
For Grid or multi-node deployments of SAS Enterprise Session Monitor, it is recommended to install the SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Agent locally to each node of the Grid.
The following instructions will assume a target installation directory of
Obtain Installation Assets¶
The appropriate SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Agent installation package for your Unix operating system can be obtained from the Boemska Downloads site or by contacting SAS Technical Support.
Once downloaded, untar the archive to your desired location. The installer is ~200 MB uncompressed.
Install the Agent¶
Elevated privileges required
It is strongly encouraged to install the Agent using either root or sudo. This is required in order to deploy the SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Agent as a Service.
- Change directory to the destination of the unpacked installation package and execute
sudo ./setup.shto start the SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Agent Installation Wizard.
- You must agree to the terms set out in the license agreement in order to continue with the installation. Accept by pressing 'y'.
- Specify the target install location for the SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Agent. The installer will automatically create an
esm-agentsubfolder within the selected destination folder. Press enter to continue.
- Enter the hostname or IP address of the SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Server into which this Agent will report.
- Enter the port on which the server is listening on. You may hit enter to accept the defaults.
- Select how you would like this machine to appear in the Enterprise Session Monitor user interface.
- Next, a semi-colon separated list of the disks that the Agent should monitor for IO activity (for example:
/dev/sda;/dev/sdb). If blank, the Agent will attempt to automatically detect all attached local disks.
- The installation process will begin. This may take a few minutes to complete. During this process a test connection is made to the Server.
- If your system supports it and you are running the installation with
rootyou will be prompted as to whether you would like to configure the Agent as a
- If you select y, the installer will attempt to deploy a systemd configuration file, you will then be prompted to start the agent. After this, the installation will complete.
- If you select n, the installation will complete.
Validate Agent Deployment¶
- From a supported browser, navigate to the Enterprise Session Monitor UI
- The application will load and you will be presented with a login dialog. Enter the credentials used in step 7 of the installation process.
- After successfully logging in, from the main menu on the left, select "Live View" ( icon).
- In the bottom left-hand corner of the page, in the "Nodes" list, you should see an item with the same name as selected in step 6. Single Click on the node name.
- Single clicking on the name of the node, should open the Node Portlet in full height mode. You should see the chart move slowly from right to left as data about the node comes in to the server.
Created: April 24, 2023