SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Administration Guide¶
Welcome to the SAS Enterprise Session Monitor 2021 Administration Guide. The purpose of this documentation is to provide the administrator of SAS Enterprise Session Monitor with all of the resources that they will need to install, configure, and run SAS Enterprise Session Monitor on a day-to-day basis.
What's new in Administration of SAS Enterprise Session Monitor¶
Generally the administration of SAS Enterprise Session Monitor 2021 is the same as SAS Enterprise Session Monitor 2020.x and even prior releases. However, this guide has tried to evolve into a more useable resource for SAS Enterprise Session Monitor administrators:
- Consolidated and updated installation guides for both Windows and UNIX platforms.
- Separate "Debugging" section to provide clearer guidance on how to resolve common problems
- Separate section to provide clearer instructions on performing common SAS Enterprise Session Monitor administration actions in SAS Enterprise Session Monitor 2021.
- New Advanced Topics section providing information and instructions on more complex SAS Enterprise Session Monitor administration tasks that may not need to be completed by all.
Sizing your SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Server¶
SAS Enterprise Session Monitor Server should, where possible, be installed onto a machine that is not a machine that you wish to observe. There are two main reasons for this:
- We don't want the processes of the observability tool's database or user interface to impact the performance of the application that we are trying to monitor
- If the machine on which we have installed the Server component becomes unavailable because of major instabilities in the platform, the user interface of SAS Enterprise Session Monitor will also likely be unavailable
When sizing the machine that is going to host the SAS Enterprise Session Monitor server component the two most important things to consider are:
- how many hosts will be monitored by the Server
- how many users will be using the SAS Enterprise Session Monitor user interface
Use the table below to determine the setting that you should select when installing the SAS Enterprise Session monitor server component.
|Environment Size||Minimum System requirements|
|Fewer than 50 servers and
Fewer than 10 users
8 GB RAM
50 GB disk
|Between 50 and 100 servers or
More than 10 but fewer than 50 users
16 GB RAM
250 GB disk
|More than 100 servers or
More than 50 users
64 GB RAM
500 GB disk
Regardless of the size of the environment that you select at installation time, these values can be easily updated at a later stage should your use of SAS Environment Manager change.
For reference, the following configurations setting values are set depending on the size value selected:
|shared_buffers||1 GB||4 GB||8 GB|
|effective_cache_size||4 GB||12 GB||24 GB|
|maintenance_work_mem||1 GB||1 GB||2 GB|
|max_wal_size||2 GB||4GB||8 GB|